Everyone does say that laughter is the best medicine. Your medications are just a supplement.
Disclaimer: we are not medical professionals- we cannot give you a diagnosis or medication advice. Please speak to a health professional for this. If you are in crisis please contact one of the hotlines on our page.
This is what is known as an acute stress reaction! Defined as “a psychological condition arising in response to a terrifying or traumatic event”, they are not unusual at all, and can very staggeringly in both the intensity on the trigger and the intensity of the response from person to person. (As a side note, frequency, length, and degree of interference with a person’s ability to function may indicate PTSD instead.) This occurrence, although definitely worth mentioning to a therapist, is not something to feel ashamed of at all! Bullying can absolutely be a traumatizing experience at any level.
If you’re getting hate messages, here are a few things you can do:
- Turn anonymous messaging off. Most people aren’t willing to show their faces, so simply turning the anonymous feature off can usually reduce the amount of hate you receive.
- Use the “block” feature. Sometimes people don’t realize that you can actually block people from sending you messages, even anonymously. Try blocking anyone who sends you a hateful message, and see what happens.
- Have a friend monitor your ask box. Ask someone you trust if they can watch your ask box whenever you’re away from the computer or something. Have them delete hate messages if they see any, and this should help lessen the amount of hate messages you see.
- Reach out to other blogs. If you’re getting a lot of hate, don’t be afraid to talk to other blogs and ask for help or encouragement. We’re all in this together, and most people here on tumblr will be there for you and stand up for you :)
- Acknowledge that if it’s hate, it’s probably wrong. Most hate messages are completely wrong and totally vague. Do your best to realize that when people send mean things, they really have no reason or evidence for the stuff they say. It’s just empty words.
For more help, visit http://hate-help-hotline.tumblr.com